Tuesday 17 July 2012

Guadalcanal

Sunday Ray and I tried out a new game. New to us anyway. I picked it up from Larry Harris himself from his Yard Sale post on Harris Game Design. It took us about an hour or so to look through the rulebook
and then set it up.


Then it was time to pound the beers and roll the dice, er, shake the dice.


My first move was to bring my entire fleet to the middle of the board.



 This fight here took out almost all my air force.


 Lucky for me only one of my capital ships was sunk here but it tied the game.



 This was the situation at the end of round 4. Ray kicked my but on New Georgia but I had troops remaining so he controlled the island. I however controlled the first airfield and used my supply tokens to build another one making it my third while the USA only had two. Thus the Japanese win.



We had fun and now have a better idea of what needs to be done, how, and when. Next time I'm sure Ray will purchase more supply tokens and I could see this game coming down to who kills more capital ships. We were playing more defensive as we had no idea what we were doing but it was fun and I think if we ever get stuck with just two players again we will give this another go. Great game.

2 comments:

  1. Guadacanal: over here we feel it's like playing an alternative version of chess. You constantly have to consider the moves your oponent is able to make. Next to keeping in mind the structure and logistics of the map. We got the hang of it after about 5 - 7 games. Only then we considered ourselves reasonable players of this game.
    We are awaiting your next gamereport with interest!

    Kind regards again, L Bergman

    ReplyDelete
  2. We particularly liked how the units moved independantly and then the opponent moved his units so the battles developed over the turn. You might have planned one thing and then had to change the plan based on your opponents counter. Great game.

    ReplyDelete